PM 35 Surge Sealift (Organic Assets)
LMSRs are ideal for the rapid loading and off-loading of Army wheeled and tracked vehicles, as well as other outsized Army equipment. A series of internal and external ramps makes this possible, and shipboard cranes allow cargo to be lifted without relying on local port infrastructure.
- MSC's large, medium-speed, roll-on/roll-off ship, or LMSR, program significantly expends the nation's sealift capability for the new millennium.
- All of the LMSRs have been movers of U.S. military equipment during Operations ENDURING FREEDOM and IRAQI FREEDOM.
- Large, medium-speed, roll-on/roll-off ships have been built or converted at U.S. shipyards. The LMSRs supplement transport ships available in the commercial sector.
- LMSRs: support prepositioning and surge sealift
- Features of the new large, LMSRs:
- Can carry ammunition, food, water, fuel, equipment and other supplies to sustain troops afloat for days
- Support humanitarian missions, as well as combat missions